We are a technology company working on digitalizing international trading, and the first digital forwarding company in Japan (aiming to become No. 1 in Asia). We are building a multi-sided digital platform which allows both customers (importer/exporter) and operators to efficiently and fluidly process international trade workflows, which are today processed mostly through human labor. Our platform currently covers freight forwarding and we are aiming to expand our coverage throughout the international trade supply chain.
At Shippio we are focused on revolutionizing the legacy industry of logistics. We plan to do away with the old way of tracking things on paper and by hand with a centralized platform that provides an easy to use dashboard for automatic data entry and document generation.
We’re looking for passionate engineers who love coding and creating great products. Because we need to evolve fast in a sea with big fish. We are looking for highly ambitious engineers who want to work on major aspects of the Shippio product — from the back-end through to the end user experience. You will be involved in the design and development of Ruby applications service infrastructure in collaboration with project managers, designers, and front-end engineers.
You will develop features implemented on Shippio's web applications.
- Design and develop Ruby on Rails applications
- Product quality improvement through code review and teamwork
- Critical analysis
- Achieve service compliance, stability, ease of use, and flexibility for continuous improvement
- 2+ years of experience in Back-End application development (preferably in Ruby on Rails)
- Synthetic mind, able to quickly grasp the essence of our business and translate it into a model
- Navigator, negotiate challenges to find optimal solutions
- Good intra and inter-team communication skills
- Located in Japan
- Valid work authorization or a degree in a related field for those requiring visa sponsorship
- Business level English
[Good to have]
- Communication skills in Japanese are highly appreciated
- Experience on cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Intellectually curious and eager to take on new challenges
- Interested in working on B2B development by leveraging your own development experience
[Our current stack]
We have a Ruby on Rails Back-End, deployed on AWS. We expose our APIs to Front-End (written in React.js) via GraphQL. However we are always looking for opportunities to use new technologies and languages so we would be happy to hear about your favourite technological stack!
[Portrait of our crewmembers]
A person who embodies our core values (Anchors)
- [Be courageous and decisive] People who aren't afraid to take on challenges and don't let precedent stand in the way of accomplishing goals
- [Strive for greatness] People who can accept constructive criticism and are willing to continually improve themselves.
- [Believe in your fellow crewmates] People who enjoy developing as a team. Someone who can help team members grow and learn from them.